Tuesday, June 9, 2020

blue moon / boho dress




Blogging about fashion brings me joy and helps me de-stress, but it could not feel less important right now.  I was one of the lucky ones to score this gorgeous Spell & The Gypsy Collective Portobello Road Boho Dress, which sold out very quickly.  When we shot this dress a couple of weeks ago, I was so happy wearing it, twirling around in it, but feel those images are not a representation of how I feel right now.  I've taken the past week to reflect and educate myself on the ways I can become a better ally to the Black community.  I spent most of my time reading, listening and talking with my children (who we have always taught to be kind to everyone, but now realize that was not enough) and will continue to do so because BLACK LIVES MATTER.  As someone who was a legal assistant for 15 years of her life, I was drawn to the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc., an organization fighting for racial justice, which I have donated to and will continue donating to. 

I will support Black-owned businesses (I found Glamour Magazine's '39 Black-Owned Businesses You Can Support Today and Everyday' and Gal Meets Glam's '26 Small Businesses Owned by Women of Color' a helpful start.)  Lemlem is a brand I've been noticing lately (I love this romper), but had no idea the pieces are made in Africa and create jobs for local artisans, which makes me drawn to the brand even more.  Afterpay has made it even easier to shop Black Owned BusinessesKlarna has done the same.  I followed some amazing women on Instagram, thanks to this post by Atlantic-Pacific.  By no means do I feel this is enough, but as stated in Vogue Magazine's '68 Black-Owned Fashion and Beauty Brands to Support Now and Always', these small steps do matter.

Mx

1 comment: